High Gravity Radical Theology Reading List

posted 23/7/13

highgravity_logo_rev1_01_copy

Recently I’ve been leading an in-depth, online reading group with Tripp Fuller that aims to introduce people to some of the seminal thinkers behind the movement often called Radical Theology.

With two hundred people having signed up for the six weeks the whole thing has been a great success and is something I’m keen to experiment with again. Anyway here is a list of what we covered in the course. If you sign up you can still access all the articles and video lectures.

Week 1 – Paul Ricoeur

“The Critique of Religion” and “The Language of Faith”

Union Theological Quarterly, 28, no. 3 (1973)

Week 2 – Martin Heidegger

“Phenomenological Explication of Concrete Religious Phenomena in Connection with the Letter’s of Paul”

The Phenomenology of Religious Life

Week 3 – Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Excerpts from Letters and Paper’s from Prison

Letters and Papers from Prison

Week 4 – Paul Tillich

“God above God” and “Two Types of Philosophy of Religion”

Theology of Culture

Week 5 – John Caputo

“Theopoetics as the Insistence of Radical Theology”

The Insistence of God

Week 6 – Slavoj Žižek

“The Fear of Four Words: A Modest Plea for a Hegelian Reading of Christianity”

The Monstrosity of Christ

Over Lent in 2014 we will be running another online reading group as part of Atheism for Lent. More information to follow

14 Responses to High Gravity Radical Theology Reading List

1. Stephen Dareing says:

Ok, so the big question for me is how do we do, and what do we do with this theology? To paraphrase Marx, theology for its own sake is somewhat meaningless.

• Stephen Dareing says:

Thank you Kevin. Just getting into Zizek. Reading his more political/economic stuff at the moment.

• Janet Abbey says:

One thing is what Edward Snowden has done. Zizek has written about Ayn Rand and Brecht as over-identifying (Capitalism and Communism) taking to the extremes. Snowden has over identified with the idealism of the US: freedom, liberty, justice, etc. In doing this the hypocrisy is exposed.

2. Kevin says:

The Monstrosity of Christ attempts some answers to your question.

3. Paul says:

I’m hoping that it may just be my lack of in-depth reading yet, but are there non-male, non-white, non-western literary influences and voices in Radical Theology?

4. Stephen Dareing says:

To Paul: Non-male (at least): Julian of Norwich, Theresa of Avila and Hildegaard of Bingen.

• Stephen Dareing says:

PS…Don’t let the churchy language dissuade you. They all used it symbolically. Avila, in particular, uses the Christ image as the feminine aspect of God.

5. Janet Abbey says:

Edward Snowden needs everyone’s support to avoid assassination. Twitter keeps him alive, just as it does Ai WeiWei.

6. SW says:

tx for posting the list. awfully generous of you…for a communist.

7. Victoria says:

I would love to sign up to get the other elements of this study, how do you sign up?

8. Rob says:

I recently purchased these podcast on the Mission Soulutions website. i thought the pdfs would be provided and I don’t see anywhere to access them. Am I missing something here or are they no longer available? The readings were the primary reason for the purchase, so i’m hoping to get them somehow! Peace.

• Peter Rollins says:

Hey

You should have got the PDF’s. could you drop Mission Solutions an email (they should have the info on their site)? They should be able to sort you out as I don’t have them. Hope you enjoy!

• Rob says:

Yea, I dropped them an email same day as I posted here. Got no word from them. I basically purchased Heidegger, Tillich’s books – although the Tillich book does not have “God beyond God” so is this in another wok of his? I also got Monstrosity of Christ on the way and just scanned Bonhoeffer’s letters to Bethge to read through his thoughts on religionless Christianity – i’m bout to finish listening to this podcast. I got the impression that we were supposed to get access to the work group and there be able to get pdfs. I requested access on the Mission solutions site and have not gotten word yet.

9. Sam W says:

Have I completely missed the boat on this or are these resources still available?

I can’t seem to find anything called Mission Solutions anymore.